Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dordogne - Rock Art Trip









This weekend we drove Northwest for seven hours until we hit the area of Dordogne, which is absolutley lovely and made me think of Beauty and the Beast constantly. I have myself a perfect chateau picked out for when I inevitably move there - it's not the one pictured. Also, the area is loaded with caves that have prehistoric rock art all throughout them, which was the reason for our trip. Unfortunately, we couldn't take pictures inside the caves for copyright and preservation reasons, but I did manage to get a shot of outside of one and of our tour guide from another. All in all, we visited five caves, from the very famous Lascaux II (it's an exact model of the original Lascaux that was closed due to damage from the constant human interaction) to a privately owned cave in which we were led around by an old man whose lamp was lit from a car battery. He's pictured, kinda flirty. Sadly, the younger man who gave us our last tour was quite easy on the eyes, but he wasn't as flirty and I doubt he would have been okay with me getting a few snapshots. The area itself is so lush with plant life and was made even more beautiful with the rain and fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment